is a 17th century church built for a hospital, located in the rione Campo Marzio, between Ponte Cavour and the Mausoleum of Augustus. The dedication is to St Roch (13th century), to whom particular skills were attributed in combating diseases.
For reference, a plan of the church is available here
The direct cause for the decision of building the church, also the hospital which is a part of it, was the epidemic of the plague which erupted in Rome in 1477 and decimated the populace of the city. The initiative of "Brotherhood of San Rocco", dedicated to the saint of Montpellier and approved in 1499 by Pope Alexander VI. In 1502 the church was named San Rocco and San Martino.
In 1654 a copy of the famous icon of Santa Maria delle Grazie was reported as having performed miracles. As a result of the devotion this caused, the confraternity was able to attract enough money and interest to rebuild the church. This was completed in 1657 to a design by Giovanni Antonio De' Rossi
. The façade was only added in 1834 by Giuseppe Valadier
, in a very accomplished Neo-Classical style.
The first radical transformation of appearance of the area occurred in 1890 due to the construction of Lungotevere and the Cavour Bridge. Subsequently, there were radical renovation of the district close to the Ara Pacis and between 1934 and 1938 were demolished the dense constructions near the Mausoleum of Augustus. During the work the hospital and the bell tower of the church were demolished. There was a restoration in 1940. In 1953 began the second life of Saint Rocco with the complete restoration of the building.