Santa Maria dei Monti
(also known as Madonna dei Monti or Santa Maria ai Monti) is a late 16th and early 17th century parish and titular church. The dedication is to the Blessed Virgin Mary. The church is set in the characteristic alleys of Monti neighborhood, in the area corresponding to the ancient Roman quarter of the Suburra. It is one of the most interesting examples of the transition between Renaissance and Baroque architecture.
For reference, a plan of the church is available here
The church was commissioned by Pope Gregory XIII in 1580 to celebrate the discovery of a miraculous 15th century image of Our Lady with Sts Lawrence and Stephen, found in the ruins of a nearby convent of the Poor Clares, which now hangs over the high altar. A copy is processed through the streets on April 26th each year.
It was designed by Giacomo della Porta with a fašade inspired by his prior work of the Ges˙. The work was continued by Carlo Lombardi and Flaminio Ponzio. The fašade was renovated 1991-1992.
The last restoration took place in 1999. The lantern of the dome was badly damaged by lightning on September 16, 2004 and restored by the Superintendent of Rome three months later.