Santa Maria Maggiore

< previous > < index > < next >

When Ferdinando Fuga built the portico in 1743 he kept the original late 13th century facade, with the famous mosaic.

The loggia has a simply decorated barrel vault, with cut-away lunettes exposing the parts of the mediaeval mosaic that would otherwise be covered by it. The vault springs from corbels decorated with putti by Filippo Della Valle.