San Giacomo in Augusta
, also known as San Giacomo degli Incurabili
, is a parish, titular and former hospital church built in the 17th century, in the rione Camp Marzio. The dedication is to St James the Great. Augusta refers to the proximity of the Mausoleum of Augustus.
For reference, a plan of the church is available here
The first sacred building here was a small chapel attached to a hospital originally dedicated to St. James the Apostle for the care of poor sick pilgrims, which was founded in 1339.
At the end of the 16th century, Cardinal Antonio Maria Salviati sponsored a project to provide the hospital with a proper church on the site of the little chapel. Construction was started by Francesco da Volterra
, and completed by Carlo Maderno
after Volterra's death. The church was completed and consecrated in 1602.
The church was sacked in the anti-clerical riots by a mob led by Angelo Brunetti in 1849 during the Roman Republic. Then it was converted into a stable. The subsequent restoration, commissioned by Pius IX and carried out by Gaetano Morichini
between 1861 and 1863. There was another restoration in early 20th century.