SS. Martino e Sebastiano degli Svizzeri was built by Pope Pius V in 1568 to serve as chapel for the Swiss Guards, whose patron saints are Martin and Sebastian. The architect was Nanni di Baccio Bigio
. Their barracks were located next to Port St. Pellegrino: the upper part of the church can be seen from Piazza S. Pietro immediately below Palazzo Apostolico.
In 1999 the building was enlarged and there was added a forum.
The chapel contains works of Gino Giannetti, the creator of The Monument to Columbus
in New York harbor.