San Marcello al Corso
is a 16th century conventual and titular church on 4th century foundations in the rione Trevi. The dedication is to Pope St Marcellus.
For reference, a plan of the church is available here
The first historical mention of the existence in Rome of a church called "of Marcello" is found in the letter of December 29, 418. Later the church is often mentioned in historical sources as the Titulus Marcelli
. In 1375, Pope Gregory XI gave the church to the Servite friars who then founded a convent here.
A fire on the night of 22 May 1519 completely destroyed the church. Apart from the outer walls, the only item that survived was a 15th century wooden crucifix which is now to be found in the Chapel of the Crucifix. The Servites ordered the rebuilding the church, a work which began immediately to a design by Jacopo Sansovino
. Work stopped with the Sack of Rome in 1527 as the artists fled Rome. Antonio Sangallo the Younger
took over in 1529, only to suffer a setback in 1530 when the Tiber flooded the area. Six years later Giovanni Mangone
was appointed to complete the project. Annibale Lippi
designed and executed the apse in 1569. The church was then judged to be finished, and finally consecrated in 1592.
The present fašade was a separate project, designed by Carlo Fontana
and built between 1682 and 1686. From 1861 to 1867 the interior was restored by Virginio Vespignani
, especially the sanctuary.