San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane

Click on any photo to see a larger version


EXTc4862 DSC_0046 EXTa7319 EXTd1397 DSC_0050
ext59473 ext24583 EXTe7531 ext93457 ext86549

Interior
DSC_0056 int53769 NAVb6428 NAVa3950 NAVc7319 NAVd7931
DOMa7319 DOMc7931 int62847 int49326 int36835 DSC_0052
PENb3937 PENd3939 PENc3938 PENa3936

High Altar
int27483 SANCTa46 DSC_0051 DSC_0057 SAMCTb82 SANCTc91

Side Altars
int18436 LAb46528 DSC_0053 LAa73955 LAc73195
RAb46285 DSC_0055 RAa53972 RAc73195

Barberini Chapel
CBd46138 CBe91732 CBm35179 CBk75315 CBn46852
CBg78963 DSC_0061 CBh12369 CBf456821 CBb46528

Sacristy Area
16b51793 DSC8801 DSC8802 DSC8803 15a79468
15b71285 DSC8807 DSC8805 DSC8804 17b82465
16a46285 DSC8820 16c46825 16d73198 DSC8813

Crypt
PICT3986 DSC8825 DSC8828 DSC8826 DSC8833 DSC8836

Cloister
COLa4652 clo48636 clo38954 clo17537 clo25735

Garden
DSC8822 DSC8823 DSC8824


The Church of Saint Charles at the Four Fountains (Chiesa di San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane also called San Carlino) was designed by the architect Francesco Borromini (1599-1667) and was his first independent commission. It is an iconic masterpiece of Baroque architecture, built as part of a complex of buildings on the Quirinal Hill for the Spanish Trinitarians, an order dedicated to the freeing of Christian slaves. He received the commission in 1634, under the patronage of Cardinal Francesco Barberini, whose palace was across the road. The tight geometric complexity of interlocking ovals and circles creates spaciousness in the small corner church, which stands a stone's throw from the Palazzo Barberini (windows designed by Borromini) and piazza. It is also down the street from rival Gian Lorenzo Bernini's oval Sant'Andrea al Quirinale.

For reference, a plan of the church is available here.

History

The church was built 1634-1638 by Borromini, and was the first church in Rome to be dedicated to St Charles Borromeo, who had been canonized in 1610. It was also the first church that Borromini built in Rome. It belongs to the adjacent Spanish Trinitarian monastery, built by Borromini four years before he started work on the church. The church is small, and the plan and proportions are said to be based on one of the piers supporting the dome of St Peter's. The appellation refers to the four fountains at the corners of the intersection where the church stands.

Related Links: from Roman Churches Wiki
from Wikipedia

Location: 41° 54' 6" N, 12° 29' 26" E

Detailed description

If you have any comments, questions, suggestions or corrections, please contact me here
Copyright Skip Conde 2012-2020