Sant'Angelo in Pescheria is a 16th century conventual, former parish and titular church containing 8th century fabric in the rione Sant'Angelo, which is named after it. The dedication is to St Michael the Archangel.
For reference, a plan of the church is available here.
HistoryThe church was constructed in the entrance of the Porticus Octaviae, which was built by the emperor Augustus in honor of his sister, Octavia the Younger, sometime between 33 and 23 BC. The foundation legend alleges that the church was founded by Pope Boniface II in 530, but this is probably too early. There is an inscribed placque in the church from 755AD. The appellation in Pescheria was added by the 12th century, refering to the nearby fish market.
The church was rebuilt some time in the high Middle Ages, around the 13th century, as can be deduced from the evidence of the crypt. The Confraternity of Fishmongers adopted the church and appointed Martino Longhi to reconstruct the right hand aisle for their use in 1583. Later, the fishmongerts built their own oratory next door, Sant'Andrea dei Pescivendoli, which is now deconsecrated.
The church was mostly rebuilt to its present form in a major restoration, commissioned by Cardinal Andrea Peretti, titular of the church, in 1610, by Giacomo della Porta. There was another restoration in 1741. In 1867, Pope Pius IX commissioned Alessandro Batocchi to effect a thorough restoration of the church. This restoration involved the provision of a campanile, as well as the rebuilding of the apse. In the 20th century, many of the surrounding buildings were demolished to expose the ancient Roman remains.
|Related Links:||Roman Churches Wiki|
|"De Alvariis" gallery on Flickr|
|Location:||41° 53' 33.7" N, 12° 28' 43.3" E|