In 1948 an order of priests called the Congregation of the Most Blessed Sacrament bought the Villa Massimo and grounds near Piazza Bologna for their international headquarters. The Catholic Diocese of Rome asked the priests to include a church building that would be open to the public for adoration of the Eucharist. At the same time an idea developed to also make this church the Canadian National Church, dedicated to the Canadian Martyrs
, 17th century Jesuit missionaries who were killed by Mohawk Indians.
The church was built in 1955 to the design of architect Bruno Maria Apollinj Ghetti.