San Pellegrino
The Chapel of Corps of Gendarmerie of Vatican City

Click on any photo to see a larger version

DSC_0687 DSC_0688 DSC_0659 DSC_0661 DSC_0660
DSC_0664 DSC_0662 DSC_0663 DSC_0675 DSC_0674
DSC_0676 DSC_0669 DSC_0666 DSC_0667 DSC_0677
DSC_0671 DSC_0670 DSC_0672 DSC_0673 DSC_0678
DSC_0679 DSC_0680 DSC_0665

Church of San Pellegrino is one of the oldest churches in Vatican City. The small church is entrusted to the care of the papal Master of Ceremonies and chaplain of the Vatican Gendarmerie.


The origins of this church date back at least to the 8th century. According to the Liber Pontificalis Pope Saint Leo III (795-816) gave the existing church a silver lamp, when the church was a hospice for the reception of pilgrims and the care of the cemetery of San Pellegrino in Naumachi. (Naumachi refers to the fact that the church was built on the ruins of the building where the Roman emperors amused themselves by "playing" a naval battle).

Discoveries in the church made by Monsignor De Waal, chancellor of the German Campo Santo nearby brought to light remains of frescos dating back to the 9th century

The gendarmes and firefighters honor as their chapel's patron St. Peregrinus. According to tradition, on the occasion of his coronation in the year 800, Charlemagne donated to the little church relics of St. Peregrinus, the first bishop of Auxerre in modern-day France.

It is thought that the church was first known as "The Pilgrim's Church," because it was the last stop on Via Francigena, the ancient pilgrim route to St. Peter's Basilica. Another possibility is that it was named in honor of a Pellegrino or Peregrinus martyred in Rome in the second century along with Sts. Eusebius, Vincent and Pontian.

In 1657 it was ceded by Pope Alexander VII the Pontifical Swiss Guard. The chapel functioned as a place of worship and burial (both inside and annex cemetery) for this worthy "Swiss cohort" as defined in the ancient tombstones. The 147 guardsmen who died protecting Pope Clement VII during the Sack of Rome in 1527 were buried in the annex cemetery here, before they were moved to the Campo Santo Teutonico.

Since 1977 the church has been the chapel of the 150 Vatican gendarmes, as the police are called, and the 30 Vatican firefighters

Sources: Italian Wikipedia
L'Osservatore Romano
RomanChurches Wiki

Location: 41° 54' 17.8"N 12° 27' 25.5"E

Detailed information and description

If you have any comments, questions, suggestions or corrections, please contact me here
Copyright Skip Conde 2012-2022