The Church of the Most Holy Names of Jesus and Mary
is a 16th century titular and former convent church located in the rione Campo Marzio. The church is one of the most beautiful churches of the Roman Baroque.
For reference, a plan of the church is available here
The church was built by the Discalced Agostinians between 1633 and 1636, on a project by the Milanese architect Carlo Buzio. Left unfinished also due to lack of funds, the church was completely renovated, between 1671 and 1673, by Carlo Rainaldi
, to whom we owe the extension of the nave, the construction of the façade and the presbytery including the high altar.
The rich decoration of the interior, made up of precious marbles and sculptural groups, was carried out between 1678 and 1690, owing to the generosity of Mgr. Giorgio Bolognetti, rich and influential bishop of Rieti, former nuncio to Louis XIII, and Camillo del Corno, two rich prelates, who made an important donation for the enlargement and embellishment of the church. In return they were authorized to build the funerary monuments for themselves and their relatives in the central nave rather than in a side chapel.