Santa Maria della Consolazione
is a 16th century devotional, confraternity and former hospital church just to the south of the Campodoglio at the foot of the Palatine Hill, in rione Campitelli. The dedication is to the Blessed Virgin Mary, under her title of Our Lady of Consolation.
For reference, a plan of the church is available here
The church is named after an icon of the Virgin Mary which was placed on this site to console condemned criminals. The church is located at the base of what is thought to be the Tarpeian Rock from where condemned criminals were tossed to their death in Roman times. In 1385 a condemned nobleman, Giordanello degli Alberini, paid two gold florins for the icon to provide consolation for criminals facing death.
The first church was built here in 1470 and rebuilt during 1583-1600 by Martino Longhi the Elder. In 1827 the façade was finally completed, the architect being Pasquale Belli.
Many came there to honour Our Lady, and in 1506 a hospital was founded at the site. Among those who worked there are St Ignatius of Loyola, St Camillus de Lellis, St Philip Neri and St Aloysius Gonzaga. It was here that St Aloysius contracted the plague while caring for its victims. A plaque commemorating his sacrifice can be found on the wall past the side of the church.
The hospital was demolished in 1936, and now the headquarters of the Fire Brigade is located at the site, but the church remains in use.