Santa Maria della Vittoria

Click on any photo to see a larger version


Nave

Apse

Left side chapels

Right side chapels

Santa Maria della Vittoria is a small basilica church in Rome, on Via XX Settembre.

History

The church was built by the Discalced Carmelite Friars, with financial support from Cardinal Scipione Borghese, nephew of Pope Paul V. Construction started in 1603 or 1608, led by Carlo Maderno. It was first named San Paolo, St Paul's, after an older chapel on the site.

After the Catholic victory in the Thirty Years' War at the Battle of White Mountain in 1620, which reversed the Reformation in Bohemia, the church was rededicated to the Virgin Mary. (Turkish standards captured at the 1683 siege of Vienna hang in the church, as part of this victorious theme.)

The church was partially destroyed by fire on 29 June 1833, and rebuilt to a design by Carnevali, for the commission of Prince Alessandro Torlonia in 1880.

For reference, a plan of the church is available here.

Related Links: from Roman Churches Wiki
from Wikipedia
Description of Bernini's statue in RomaViva.com
Photos from blog When in Rome
Photos on Wikipedia Commons

Location: 41° 54' 17" N, 12° 29' 39" E

Additional information

Church #96/11