Santa Maria in Traspontina

< previous > < index > < next >

By tradition the icon was brought to Rome from the Holy Land in 1216, but is now thought to have been a product of South Italy. It was crowned in 1641, but was apparently destroyed during the Roman Republic of 1798. The present icon has been shown to be a copy.

Related links:  Roman Republic

(Photo borrowed from internet)
© Mark Yancey