Sant'Andrea al Quirinale

Click on any photo to see a larger version

Exterior:

Nave:

Apse and Main Altar:

Side Chapels

Rooms of St Stanislaus Kostka:

Sant'Andrea al Quirinale is the church of the Jesuit novitiate.

History

The first church on the site, Sant'Andrea in Monte Cavallo, was a parish church. It was donated to the General of the Jesuits, St Francis Borgia, by Andrea Croce, Bishop of Tivoli, in the 16th century, and became the church of the Society's noviciate.

The present church for the Jesuit seminary on the Quirinal was begun in 1658 with funds provided by Cardinal Camillo Pamphilj. The project was conceived and designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini who, together with his pupil Mattia De Rossi, supervised the construction of the church. It took twenty years to build (1658-1678). Almost immediately there were problems. The small site chosen for the new church restricted the design. Bernini resolved the problem, as his rival Borromini had done further along the road at San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane, by designing an oval church.

The church is considered one of the finest examples of Roman Baroque with its superb balance and harmony in the choice of materials and the flow of light. It is said that Bernini did not charge a fee for designing this church, and his only payment was a daily donation of bread from the noviciate's oven. Bernini considered it as his only perfect work.

Among those who worshipped here are St Aloysius Gonzaga, St Stanislaus Kostka and St Robert Bellarmine. Bernini often came to this church for Mass in his old age.

Related Links: from Roman Churches Wiki
from Wikipedia
Ruud Teggelaar blog

Location: 41° 54' 2"N 12° 29' 21"E

Additional information

Church #113/12